2013年2月21日 星期四

Art Review of Fotanian Open Studios 2013

Date of visit: 19 Jan 2013
Name of exhibition: Fotanian open studios 2013 (Fo Tan)

I am rather interested on the Fotanian open studios 2013 when I first heard of it. I really appreciate the idea to bring together a vibrant community of artists and art lovers who transformed industrial lofts into art studios. And when I finally reach it in real time, I found it’s somehow inspiring to me.
In general, I enjoyed in the visit and have a great admiration towards the brilliant art pieces.Among all the art works I have seen, I am quite impressed by the artwork done by Karry Cheng Hoi-Yan. It is an installation art piece in which is a new, fresh idea and art form for me.
installation work 'Education?'《-ing Art Space studio》
As a student, i found it deeply impresses me in which I have a similar feeling with the artist. I doubt at what education is? What I am chasing for in education? It is an artwork that about social and cultural aspects and it brings the critical argue on education. I can feel like we are having dozens of words, readings and academic works. It is highly related to our real situation, study blindly and be 'ruled' by rules. Karry Cheng, the creator, is an ordinary English teacher. She believes creativity is the most important element in life. Life without art is like a garden without flowers. She believes everyone should have their own thinking and do what they desire for. Education should be creative but not dull at all.I appreciate this artwork with consensus and understanding. It has carried stress and contradiction, with strong feeling to audience. In addition, I found this installation has combined materials, paper, hand writings and sculpture. They are both refreshing ideas to me. I am rather interested in it. In comparison with other art works in Fotanian Open Studios, I can also find some combined material in one piece of artwork. It's like contrast and kind of contradiction between textures. Here are some similar works:

sculpture works《We Sculptors studio》
With reference to these, I found that the mixed medium had strengthen the showcase and present of the works. While the reason I am choosing the first creature is that the presentation of work is more impressed and well-combined. I can feel like what the 'sitting person' thinking and the deep feeling when i stepped into the show room.  In this exhibition, I learnt a lot with exploration of creative works, which encompass a wide array of media, including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, mixed media, printmaking, installations, photographic and video works.



1 則留言:

  1. really feel the feelings and ideas of you.I like the way you associate your opinions with art works.When you talk about the installation work "education",you asked a question :What i am chasing for in education? This question really impressed me since i am also a student.It make me thinking of myself.Also, you also mentioned the medium of this art which are papers,hand writings and sculpture.Then you explain it and linked this types of art with other works you have seen in the exhibition.this action can enhance our memories to this kind of art work by giving examples.I think you really did a great job on your art review blog.

    回覆刪除